Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Compare & Contrast

Today I'd like to compare and contrast three camps-Camp Big Apple, Ranch West Camp and Head Start Splash-in order to find the camp most suitable for me to learn English. In this skills post, I'll talk about some differences the camps have and which camp I think is best for me to enter.

First I will compare the programs they (by they, I mean the camps) concentrate on. Personally, I think Camp Big Apple is most suitable when I think of this factor, because Camp Big apple focuses on vocabulary and math while Ranch West Camp doesn't exactly have a focused topic, and Head Start Splash's advertisment doesn't make the subjects very clear.

Second, I will compare the housing situation. I think Camp Big Apple is best again, because the advertisment said that you would be able to meet friends from all over the world in the dormitories. It would be a good experience, and because the roommates are from different countries, you would have to speak English with them, although there is a possibility that the roommates are from Korea. The housing situation in Ranch West Camp isn't bad at all, how it is a homestay and you'd be able to improve a lot on speaking abilities, but many students including myself feel more comfortable talking to students my age rather than an adult, because most of the time, students my age and I agree on more things. While Camp Big apple and Ranch West Camp has these housing situations suitable for learning English, though, Head Start Splash's houses are apartments, and a parent has to follow, which is both inconveinient and not very good to learn English.

Now I'll compare where the camp is located in. Camp Big apple is located in New York, America, where people speak English. Ranch West Camp is located in Canada, and even though Canada has two languages, I think it is an okay choice to go to Ranch West Camp. However, unlike the two camps located in English-speaking countries, Head Start Splash is located in the Philippines, where English is spoken also, but very rarely.

Considering all these reasons, I think Camp Big apple is the most suitable for learning English. Although there are many other good and bad things of all three camps, I'll conclude as choosing Camp Big Apple to enter.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work. I like some of your use of the transition words but you are overusing the phrase "now I'll compare". If you are using the transition words well, you won't really need to say "I'll compare" explicitly.

    ReplyDelete